N-Space Art Bros

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
N-Space Art Bros

The super amazing after hours art forum for all your after hours art needs!

+2
jason_pichon
Max_Acree
6 posters

Substrata: The Max Thread

Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Substrata: The Max Thread Empty Substrata: The Max Thread

Post by Max_Acree Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:09 pm

This is the thread where I'll be posting the things I'm submitting to the Substrata project.  Feel free to comment and tell me all your hopes and dreams for my work.
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Substrata: The Max Thread Empty Re: Substrata: The Max Thread

Post by Max_Acree Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:19 am

Here are some armor studies I put together tonight.  I haven't decided what kind of world I think Substrata is, so in addition to some regular fantasy armor I threw together some post-apocalyptic street sign armor.  But with a spanish stopsign, because why not?
    Substrata: The Max Thread IMG_010_zpsc548facc
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 am

Hey Max,

Good start here. Just to echo what was said at the meet up.

I'd love to see you explore the whole figure. Also working looser, and experimenting with silhouettes I think will give you a broader range of concepts to choose from.

I know this was just jump start art, to see where you wanted to go with this. But I thought it would still be good to post the feed back.
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks Jason, that was good feedback.  Even though these were essentially warmup drawings, I'm going to go ahead with the process for the practice.  Silhouette exploration via thumbnail is something I do only sporadically, because my habit is to approach recreational drawing as a doodle that just gets more and more detail as I go.  I took the guy with the asymmetrical horn as a jump off point and started throwing down some silhouettes last night, I think some of these are already stronger than the original, I'd be curious to hear which ones the group prefers.  I've numbered them all so it will make them easier to discuss:
    Substrata: The Max Thread SubstrataVillainSilhouettes_zpsf4c154e2
    Something I noticed was that the first few were pretty similar to the original bust that I drew, but after about 5 or 6, they started to diverge pretty wildly.  Sometimes that was to the good, sometimes not so much (that final one is pretty weak in my opinion).  You'll notice that the Botas Mutantes started to appear after awhile, I'm pretty sure somebody is going to be rocking those in at least one of my submissions...
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 am

Also, shout out to Seung for the excellent red pencil.
    minestorm - Paul
    minestorm - Paul

Post by minestorm - Paul Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I really like the asymmetry of the first design. Also I was drawn to the last one as well. I like the Arabian dress, mixed with various tiles. Just my two cents, nice stuff.
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:49 pm

I've decided to move on #5 in the silhouette exploration image, it is the one that keeps pulling my eye to it the most. I've blown it up in photoshop (I set up an 11" X 8.5" file at 600dpi), and I'm going to tighten up. I've started looking for reference, and I've found some pretty cool suits of armor from the German High Gothic period that feel like they have some details I can borrow. There is a TON of fantasy and modern reproduction armor that turns up on a google image search, and at this point I prefer to look at actual armor made in antiquity to see what those folks were doing.
    This is a very popular armor that seems to be casting a pretty long shadow over the modern reproduction scene. I like what is going on with the helmet, and in particular the asymmetrical Gardbrace:
    Substrata: The Max Thread 20742be63bf0992a8dcbe9e4e899ad40_500x

I don't know much about the provenance of this suit, but I really like what is going on with the back of the helmet where it blends back into the rear of the suit:
    Substrata: The Max Thread Grandson---Grandson-Castle-gallery_115_136746m-Matthias-Goll

The back of this armor is pretty cool:
    Substrata: The Max Thread Nuremberg---Germanisches-National-Museum-gallery_332_73229m

I had better luck searching for "Invalides Armor." Invalides is the military museum attached to Napoleon Bonaparte's tomb in Paris, and I know they have an exceptional collection of arms and armor because I went there some years ago. Here are some standouts that turned up on that search:
    Substrata: The Max Thread C74-France%20-%20Paris%20-%20Les%20Invalides%20-%2007%20-%20Cool%20Armor
    Substrata: The Max Thread Invalides-blog-image-2
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Substrata: The Max Thread 7c5a1e48bc553a57c8ec5847ee288e12
    this is actually the child armor of one of the kings of England, possibly one of the Edwards? I can't recall, but the etching details are amazing:
    Substrata: The Max Thread Les-invalides
    Substrata: The Max Thread IMGP0276
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:16 am

Those armor shots are great! The detail on the child armor is beyond impressive.

I'm looking at the thumbnail you liked, number five, and it doesn't seem to me like it would cinch in the middle as much as these armor tend to. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the thumbnail? When I looked at it initially, my mind when to more Samurai-like armor.

Excited to see more! Smile
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:31 am

Man, awesome reference, and I think your thumbnails are a great improvement.

To follow up on Jaclyn's comment about the torso area, I'm looking forward to how you might resolve that. When I first saw it, it struck me as feeling like a Mongolian type of warrior.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:41 am

I'm thinking of resolving the torso area with some kind of Kilt situation. In general, I was having a difficult time adapting the reference I liked to the silhouette I liked, so I'll need to sit down and decide what to do with both. Samurai armor is probably the next stop on the reference train.
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:01 pm

I love Samurai armor, can't wait to see how this progresses!
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:38 am

This is a great pose in samurai armor:
    Substrata: The Max Thread 1336738001620

It turns out Korean armor looks quite a bit like what I want from this silhouette with the sloped shoulders and raised collar (I suspect this suit is from a movie):
    Substrata: The Max Thread 091011_seoul_korea_suit_armor_dark_movie_wardrobe_MG_2950

Last edited by Max_Acree on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 am

more korean armor:
    Substrata: The Max Thread Todd_255962_1_378925_2_267
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:07 am

Here is an early step in my cleanup process.  I've dragged the two new reference images I'm using to get the basic armor components and shapes down, and I've enlarged the silhouette I want to use.  I sketched a rough figure in there on a layer in blue so I can keep track of what the body underneath that armor is doing, and I have a layer with black lines cleaning up the armor shapes.
    Substrata: The Max Thread SubstrataArmorSketch1_zpse0c1d5b0

I haven't been able to find the back of that korean armor suit, so I am using my best judgement to infer what is happening back there.
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:53 am

started fiddling with some tone, it feels pretty rough still:
    Substrata: The Max Thread SubstrataArmorSketch1_zps9726c45e
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:16 am

Solid progress. How close are you going to stick to the Korean armor? The Korean armor, by the way is pretty awesome, it feels like a blend of Medieval and Samurai armor.
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 am

I'm not sure, I don't think I'll keep all the details because I liked the asymmetrical filigree in my original drawing. I'm already looking to that samurai armor to inform the arms and legs since the Korean armor is just a torso. I'd like to get a nice solid grayscale image with no outlines, then start to play around with some of the scavenged material elements for parts of it.
    Substrata: The Max Thread SubstrataArmorSketch2_zps51152d7f
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:57 am

So it turns out Tire Armor is a thing:
    Substrata: The Max Thread Ku-xlarge
    Substrata: The Max Thread Tireartfoundrubberartworks09
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am

Nick_F

Post by Nick_F Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:52 am

Wow this is actually a pretty cool idea overlaying the sketches onto the silhouette thumbs. I actually enjoyed the number 6 as one of the more interesting shapes of the bunch. I think it'd be cool to see it explored a bit. It kind of feels like a character that would just be built interestingly.
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 pm

admin note-I moved this thread into the "bosses" subforum since it had grown beyond the initial intent of exploring armor details and now feels more like a character thread.
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Cool, now that he is a Boss character do you think it changes how you might approach him?

Does he become a larger character or would your boss fight with him be based on overcoming his advanced skill set?
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 pm

I almost want to take this guy back to pencils and noodle out some details.  I'm having a hard time progressing on that behind the back image, so I might do a turnaround and figure out all the details now that I have an idea of his basic shape.  I started making overlay layers of the various bits of armor so that his kilt was made of shredded tires and some of the collar bits were diamond plate and stopsigns, but I don't feel like the grayscale armor is coming out like I want it to.  I moved him to bosses because the armor feels too sinister for a player character.  

Given that it's samurai style armor, he strikes me as a guy that would be fast and aggressive more than large.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Yeah, that armor totally works for that silhouette! If I see any back views of Korean armor suits, I'll be sure to post them. Lookin' good so far.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content