N-Space Art Bros

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
N-Space Art Bros

The super amazing after hours art forum for all your after hours art needs!

5 posters

Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes

Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Empty Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Here's the sketch I shared with the group at last night's meeting.
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_s10

Long way to go on this one. May adjust her horns substantially. Feel a little like an afterthought to me (they kinda were - eep -).

Would love some feedback, and thanks to those who gave feedback last night.  

Sketch time: about 5-10 minutes.
    minestorm - Paul
    minestorm - Paul

Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Empty Re: Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes

Post by minestorm - Paul Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:08 pm

That's a great sketch, especially for 5-10 mins. Overall I really like her stance and the outfit layout. There are lots of lines for the eyes to follow which brings the viewer to her face and all the way to her horns. I'm really curious with what you will do with the shoulder pads.
    My advice is to continue this idea but switch things around, like the horn placement and how the clothing parts start and end. Nice start!
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:27 am

great start, just to echo some of what we touched on in the live session.

Explore the character in a full pose.

Think about the characters personality and attitude and how that relates to the pose.

You mentioned if I remember correctly that she is a fawn, it'd be great to see that fleshed out more.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:46 pm

I actually have some great reference coming together for this character. It's on my home PC, so I'll try and post it over the weekend. I'm thinking more Gymnast in build, and got some cool posing ideas in my search. Smile
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Got some sketches coming soon. Mobile version of this forum has very limited functionality. Lemme get to a pc and we'll be in business
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 am

Are you going to go full-fawn and do goat legs? That would be pretty great
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:00 am

I had some trouble posting images via the mobile site too. It did work, it just didn't function as fluidly. Looking forward to the next post.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Gotta tweak my photos, lighting was way wonky. :s But I originally was not gonna, but then I changed my mind, so the sketches I'm gonna post wont, but I'll post the revised versions too.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Before deciding to go with the goat legs:
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_p10Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_p11Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_p12
    Some posing ideas. I'm favoring the leaping pose for the final picture of this character.

Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_h10
    Some horn ideas. Still not sure. I'm kind of digging the long horns like you'd see on a gazelle.

Did some sketching, trying to get a feel for the character. Just phases of the sketch as the day progressed.
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_s10
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_s11
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_s12
    Max_Acree
    Max_Acree
    Admin

Post by Max_Acree Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm

The long horns are pretty cool, but you might try and keep them as slender and graceful as you can. In that last sketch they started getting pretty wide at the base, but that could just be because of the camera angle you snapped the pic from. Something I might be tempted to try is figure out what culture in our world you imagine she is going to come from, and find some horned creature from that geographic region to lift the horns from.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Yeah, I'll check that out. I was definitely feeling gazelle-like features. Was thinking she'd be quick, probably wearing natural sorts of armor - plant and animal based, very little metal. I'll look at the geography thing...could find something cool. Thanks for the suggestion, Max.
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 pm

This is coming along nicely. I really like the horns that are wrapped with the flowers at the end. I think that could fit nicely with the rest of her outfit.

I'd love to see you explore the leaping idea, and I would encourage you to do a bunch of loose thumbnails to keep the freshness and fluidity of the leap. Ballet or rhythmic gymnastics might be a good place to look for inspiration.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_rn=17&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=jj7lcM8C_BdwJ8sjw6-MFA&cp=9&gs_id=y&xhr=t&q=rhythmic+gymnastics&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.eWU&biw=1226&bih=863&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=2iPSUcWEN4vC9gTCgIHQAQ

Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

I actually have a bunch of gymnast poses for her in mind. I'll post some of the ref pics I found. I wanna keep it that she's visually aware of where she is leaping to (Which I know gymnasts are, but you know). Maybe something where they are looking more forward or perhaps to the 'camera' would be good. I'll post more soon.

Glad ya like the floral horns. Charles enjoyed them too, but thought they could be more interesting, so I may try scattering the placement/type of flowers on some sketches, see if it makes it a little less repetitive.

Thanks for sharing the vid. I will totally look this through...Even in the first 20 seconds there's lots of cool pose ideas. Smile

jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Cool, can't wait to see the next pass.
    minestorm - Paul
    minestorm - Paul

Post by minestorm - Paul Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 pm

It will be really cool to see her veil trailing in the gymnasts pose. Also please keep the flower on her shoulder, I really like that.
    EdTchen

Post by EdTchen Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Sorry I haven't been able to make the meetings, but from reading this I have gathered she is going to be a fawn as opposed to an elf? Is that idea no longer going to be explored? It could make for some interesting action poses. Apart from that the concept here looks great, but maybe a bit "safe"? I could be way off.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 am

Yeah, Ed...I actually said to the group the other day that she's a little...generic forest magic. I wanna push what I do with her. I got some updated sketches coming, and I think I got her pose about where I want it. Gotta share the pose references I found at some point.

She's definitely going more fawn-like than elf. I saw this image and it's really drawing me in, so I might try to work some of the more fawn-ish features in:
    http://www.elfwood.com/~pixiwillow/Fawn-Girl.3122857.html

I do think she really needs to push a little further into this 'dark fantasy' vibe. Thanks for the push, Ed. Razz

I think she will keep the flower shoulder armor. I also intend to add some armor formed from branches and tree bark. She will be wearing natural armor, so mostly leather, plant life, bone, etc. to keep that earthy vibe going. I think it'll be a good counterpoint to the enemy character I have who will be very fiery, metallic, and sharp!
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:16 am

Posting some inspirations I've collected for this character - I keep meaning to post this, but time gets away from me! LOL

Posing/build Inspiration - Since the mention of Russian Gymnast, I couldn't get that out of my head!
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 110
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 210

Armor Inspiration - Natural Armor of Wood, Leather, and Bone.
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 310Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 610
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 1110Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 910

Fawn - Chose to take her in a more Gazelle-like direction.
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 410Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 1010
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 510Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 6a00e510

Other Inspirations - Kind of the fabric-y part draped behind her.
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 710
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 am

Latest Sketches - Started some digital too, so I'll bring those tomorrow:
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 1210
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes 1310

Sorry about the color craziness. Trying to do a quick adjust to make things a little easier to see.
    minestorm - Paul
    minestorm - Paul

Post by minestorm - Paul Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:49 am

Oh very dynamic, I like it. I know this is more of a gymnast pose but for me it
    seems like she is leaping up for an attach so her head would be facing her
    opponent. That's just what my mind goes to first, either way it's a great pose.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Selected Thumbnail Sketch for My final piece:
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero_f10

Hero Progress at last week's meeting:
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero-i12
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero-i10
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero-i11

Got more for tonight! Smile Took a lot of last week's crits into consideration (Seung + Tangents = Mind Blown) and I think it's really coming along. Will post after the meeting tonight. Hope everyone else's are coming along.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Although reviewing my work for tonight, her leg wraps are still wrong-ish! :0 Dang it!
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:04 am

It was good feedback though, and I think Richard's suggestions will help strengthen this piece. Looking forward to seeing it finished... in time for the deadline so you can submit it ;o)
    EdTchen

Post by EdTchen Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:02 am

It's amazing to see the transformation from the first piece on this post to the current sketch. Great work, and I think the new look is much more dynamic and exciting. Nice linework and I love the solidness of the character. I could be off on this, but it looks like maybe one of her hooves (back one maybe) should be turning in, maybe above the second knee.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 am

Haha, Ed! Are you sure you didn't make last night's meeting? That's pretty much the frontrunner in my mind from the crits from Richard and the rest of the group. I'm researching to make some tweaks, presently.

Here's what I presented last evening to the group.
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Hero-i10
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Heroba10
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes Heroba11

I'll be tweaking and updating this weekend. I really wanna try to get it done for the deadline.

Planning to have this picture, at least, ready to submit for the deadline. I may also try and clean up some of the concept photos, per Jason's suggestion, and try to submit phases of each character. I just need to do a drawing of the finalized, updated Villianess. (at least lines, if not greyscale.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:57 am