N-Space Art Bros

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
N-Space Art Bros

The super amazing after hours art forum for all your after hours art needs!

5 posters

Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes

jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes - Page 2 Empty Re: Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes

Post by jason_pichon Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Looking at this again, I just noticed the fire girls right arm. This is a spot where getting some extra reference might help. It's actually a challenging angle to draw that arm from, it's leaning toward us and so it is foreshortened. Then the hand is leaning straight toward us, which can be even more challenging.

I think taking some pics of yourself or a volunteer in this pose could really help (maybe recruit Charles). That being said when working from photos be aware of how a photograph will flatten and distort things.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:07 pm

I actually had reference for the arms... :s I think I just need tweak it a bit to get it to feel right, or see if I can really get it to come through once it has shading. I'll toy with it, though. I know it's a little funky on her hands at the moment. I'll likely do some more of what Seung suggested - pull just that part and draw it off to the side on it's own. Hands and arms are troublesome for me. Practice Practice Practice!!!!
    jason_pichon
    jason_pichon
    Admin

Post by jason_pichon Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:14 am

Would you be up for posting your reference along side your drawing? I think it would help us when offering feedback.

Here is a quick a really quick draw over i did (you seemed receptive in the meetings, so I didn't think you would mind or take offense).
    Jaclyn Stuard - Heroes - Page 2 SomeSuggestions_zpsba2cbba4

If you look at the cylinders by her left arm you can see how the direction of the ellipse and overlap of line, inform the viewer of the perspective. In your drawing it would indicate that her left arm is actually angled more toward us rather than away.

Also I think that arm would be rather long, based on where it should be connected. Drawing through (before doing armor etc) helps to limit this. Of course your reference may prove otherwise.

Hopefully this helps.
    Jaclyn Stuard
    Jaclyn Stuard

Post by Jaclyn Stuard Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Jason, that is PERFECT! I totally get that. I wish I had my work here now, cause after seeing that it is clicking in my brain and I just wanna make changes!

I am totally open to draw-overs or any tips y'all wanna give. I'm here to learn and improve, so whatever it takes! I will find my ref for her torso setup.

I did kinda freehand the lower back/butt region. I shoulda used more ref. :s

Foreshortening is such a bugger for me to really grasp. I've been working on it, but sometimes it's like...it slips outta my brain. I know how, but executing is a challenge. Your sketch is super helpful!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:30 am